Could you be entitled to a Warm Home Discount from your electricity supplier?

Could you be entitled to a Warm Home Discount from your electricity supplier?

Warm Home discount - News









Support for Vulnerable Customers

The Warm Home Discount is a programme of support aimed at households who may struggle with their energy bills. The scheme was introduced by Government on 1st April 2011 and will run until 2021. Electricity suppliers will deliver the scheme and will primarily help qualifying customers by providing rebates on electricity accounts to help when bills may be higher over the winter period.

For winter 2016 to 2017, you could get £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money isn’t paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill between October and April.

Customers who automatically qualify for the Warm Home Discount Core Group rebate:

You qualify for the discount if on 10 July 2016 all of the following applied:

  • your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
  • your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
  • you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)

You don’t need to apply to receive the rebate as you should receive a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions during 2016 confirming that you qualify for the Warm Home Discount rebate and advising you what to do next.

Customers who do not qualify for the Core Group Rebate may apply for the Warm Home Discount Broader Group Rebate if they meet certain criteria:

You or another member of your household must be in receipt of:

  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance;
  • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Income Support;
  • Universal Credit and is not in work or Self-Employed.

or you may also qualify if the following statement applies, if

  • Your total gross household income is less than £16,190

AND your household also meets at least one of the following criteria:

There is a child permanently living in your household who:

  • is 5 years or under (born on or after 01st April 2011);
  • is 18 years or under in full time education (born on or after 01st April 1998);
  • Is entitled to free school meals;

You or another member of your household:

  • receives Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit which includes a disability element or severe disability element, disabled child element or severely disabled child element or family element or Universal Credit Equivalent;
  • receives an Income Related Benefit which includes a disabled child premium, disability premium, severe disability premium, enhanced disability premium or Universal Credit Equivalent;
  • receives Pensioner Premium, Higher Pensioner Premium or Enhanced Pensioner Premium;
  • is in receipt of the limited Capability for work element with or without a work-related activity element;
  • is in receipt of the disabled child element;
  • receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP); Incapacity Benefit or Attendance Allowance;
  • is aged 63 or over;
  • receives exemption from NHS prescription charges (where applicable) and/or
  • your household’s annual energy spend is, more than 10% of the annual income.

If you or someone in your household meets the Broader Group criteria above, the relevant person can apply for a Warm Home Discount Broader Group rebate through their electricity supplier or if you would like to find out more, please contact Jennifer Main, Tel: 01506 639124, Email:

Or go to

For the latest information and guidance on how we are working during the COVID-19 outbreak, please click here: Read More